As part of our poetry café unit, you’ll be asked to do a few things on your own time (a.k.a. homework) to supplement what we’re doing in the classroom, er, uh, I mean café.
Here are the steps to follow for the Favorite Poem Project:
1. Visit the Favorite Poem Project website
2. At the website, click on The Videos link
3. Click on the video for “We Real Cool” by Gwendolyn Brooks and read by student John Ulrich
4. Watch the video for “We Real Cool” to get a general sense of what the Favorite Poem Project is all about
5. Watch as many other videos on the website as you’d like
6. Choose your favorite TWO videos (besides “We Real Cool”)
7. While watching your two selected videos, take some notes about what you find interesting and compelling about each
8. Watch your two selections as many times as you need to in order to get a good sense of the poem
9. Go to our class Collaborize site and go to the Favorite Poem Project forum
10. Make an entry about your two poems of roughly a paragraph each in which you share your thoughts and insights about the poem
11. Consider sharing what the poem meant to you, what you know about the poet, use of poetic devices, etc.
12. Please consider responding to other student’s posts, too