The most successful filmmaker of all time, Steven Spielberg has also enjoyed great critical acclaim. That’s not to say that he hasn’t made a poor film – don’t bother seeing “1941” for example – but just about everything he’s worked on as a writer, director, producer, etc. has been exceptional.
You’re gonna need a bigger boat.~ Chief Brody in “Jaws”
For this class, we’ve decided to watch some of his earlier films, choosing from “Duel,” "Jaws" and “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” – and then one of his more recent films – “A.I.: Artificial Intelligence,” “Minority Report” and/or "Bridge of Spies."
You need to do any one of the assignments linked on the right.
To help you, I have collected some links to several sites that have interesting reviews, criticisms and observations (see below). While I certainly don’t agree with nor endorse all of these points of view, it is the spirit of the free, open marketplace of ideas that I encourage you to check these out. If you know of other resources, please pass them along to me. Enjoy.
• Baseline’s entry on Spielberg A nice, brief overview of Spielberg’s work.
• “Jaws” in the mirror by Dan Rubey. An insightful look into the deeper sociological foundations of the film.
• In Amity, one man can make a difference by James Rose. A brief, but well-written analysis of “Jaws.”
• www.jawsmovie.com An interesting site full of historical and recent info about “Jaws.”
• "Jaws" and its impact on pop culture 40+ years later from Today.
• "The shark is still working: The legacy and impact of Jaws" from the Denver Film Society
• "Recalling the summer of 'Jaws'" from CNN
• The inspiration for "Jaws" and other cool background videos from the Discovery Channel
• Jaws Script
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
• “Close Encounters” 30 years after by Glenn Kenny. A nice look at the impact of “CE3K” from this independent blog.
• Film-Think by M. Leary. A brief blog entry examining the importance of “CE3K.”
• “CE3K” Online A fun, interactive fan site of “Close Encounters.”
• Official “CE3K” 30th Anniversary Site From Sony Pictures.
• Close Encounters Script