Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Intro to Rhetoric
As part of our current unit of study, we'll start by exploring the basic concepts of rhetoric. While some of the terminology may be new to you, you'll be surprised at how much you already know since you've been dealing with much of the building blocks of rhetoric all year life.
Carefully read the articles below, take notes and be prepared to discuss them in class in terms of their use of rhetoric. Please keep in mind that these articles have been chosen because they are excellent sources for our study of rhetoric – not because they advocate for or oppose a particular point of view.
Tool/Guide for individual analysis:
- See the Google Classroom for specific information
- Elements of Rhetoric Reading Assignment 2015
Readings for individual analysis:
- Social Media: Don’t Blame Social Media
- Race/Ethnicity: Eugene Robinson: I’m black, don’t shoot me - The Washington Post
- Gender: Gender inequality in STEM
- Drug/Alcohol: Not so fast! A case against legalizing marijuana : Stltoday
- School Policies: Why teenagers really do need an extra hour in bed - opinion - 22 April 2013 - New Scientist
- Gun Control: Why arguments against gun control are flawed – Hawkeye editorial board
More to come…